Hello! I’m Cavan Scott and I make up stuff!
I write books, comics and audio books for children and adults. Here are some things you might want to know about me.
1. I live near Bristol with my wife and two daughters. There is also a blow up Dalek in the house called Desmond. He’s quite grumpy (probably ‘cos he’s got a slow puncture, poor thing!)
2. I’ve written for all kind of things including Doctor Who, The Sarah Jane Adventures, Angry Birds, Warhammer 40,000, Pathfinder, Adventure Time, Blake’s 7, Judge Dredd, Highlander and Power Rangers.
3. Since 2012, I’ve been masquerading as a literary penguin! My flippered alter-ego is Onk Beakman, author of the Skylanders series of books including The Machine of Doom and Spyro versus The Mega Monsters. I’ve also written bestselling Skylanders annuals, activity books and game guides galore.
4. I’ve been a life-long reader of The Beano and can’t believe my luck that I now write for it too. So far I’ve written for Minnie the Minx, Roger the Dodger, Bananaman and Gnasher and Gnipper.
5. I also write non-fiction books for both adults and children. These include books based on the popular BBC One TV show Countryfile and the official companion for Planet Dinosaur. In 2013, Who-ology: the Official Doctor Who Miscellany, co-written with Mark Wright, became the first ever Doctor Who book to enter the Sunday Times Top 10 Bestseller list!
6. Before becoming an author I was a journalist and magazine editor. In 2007, I launched Countryfile Magazine for the BBC and before that edited a large number of children’s mags including Disney Big Time, Jetix and yes, even Disney Girl. My girls are always amazed I know so much about the Disney Princesses!
7. I still write for many magazines including SFX and Doctor Who Magazine, but have yet to find a mag that will allow me to review biscuits. There has to be one somewhere?
8. I’m a member of The Society of Authors, the Scattered Author Society and the Dennis the Menace Fan Club.
10. I support Bristol City Football Club. Well, someone has to!