Star Wars Celebration was incredible! It was so good to be back with the fans, feeling all that energy and love. And the response to Star Wars: The High Republic was staggering.
4,000 people packed the hall for our High Republic panel. 4,000! That was amazing!
You can watch the full live-streamed panel below and read a summary of the reveals over at the official Star Wars website.
We also had an amazing time at the High Republic cosplay meet where I came face-to-face with none-other than Sskeer!
You can check out my Instagram account for more of the costumes, including our winner, plus a certain green-eared Lepi that got in on the action!
There were so many other highlights, including:
- Meeting Joonas Suotamo, Carey Jones and the lovely Angie Mayhew behind the scenes at the Wonderful World of Wookiees panel.
- Appearing on the main Lucasfilm publishing, audiobooks and Marvel panels.
- Seeing amazing High Republic fan art including this incredible Avar Kriss custom Funko Pop.
- A mammoth High Republic signing, the first the five of us have been able to do together which went on and on and on in the best possible way.
- Being given an honourable membership of the Pride Squadron in an emotional ceremony in front of the Celebration Live stage.
- Taking that same stage with Charles Soule and Claudia Gray to talk Phase II of the High Republic. (You can watch it here, starting at the 43 minute mark!)
- Hanging out with Claudia, Daniel, Justina and Charles at Disneyland After Dark: Star Wars Nite and meeting a couple who got together because of their love for the High Republic books!
- Seeing so many friends that I’m afraid of listing them here and forgetting someone! You know who you are and I think you’re ace!
And what about the news? Well, here’s a quick run down. Over the four days we revealed or announced:
Kelley Jones’ awesome cover for Star Wars: Tales From the Rancor’s Pit.
The cover of Starlight Stories collecting the Star Wars: The High Republic short stories originally published in Star Wars Insider by myself, Justina Ireland and Charles Soule.
Ario Anidito’s cover to Phase II’s Star Wars: The High Republic #1, coming this October from Marvel.
My next Star Wars: The High Republic novel, Path of Vengeance.
The news that I’m writing the first arc of Marvel’s new Yoda series.
You can find out more about that last one in this interview with me on the Star Wars website.
Phew, that’s a lot and I’m sure I’ve forgotten things along the way! Check back regularly for more on all these projects and to everyone who stopped me at Celebration to say how much they love my work in Star Wars: thank you, thank you, thank you! It means the world!
As I said on Twitter, I didn’t realise how much we needed conventions back until I was in the middle of one. It’s that shot in the arm you receive from all the energy and excitement and creativity. One of the hardest parts of the last few years as a creator as all we’ve had is social networks. That means that the more negative aspects of fandom, the toxicity and the trolls, have been inflated, their voices amplified. In that situation, you start to think that’s normal, the way life is. And then you get to a convention and realise what a small part of fandom it is. Really, really small. Joy and enthusiasm wins out every single time, drowning out all the nonsense. I’m going to hold onto that.
Be the first to comment