How is it almost the end of January? What? You want to cut the small talk and jump straight to the news? Okay then (but please don’t forget that you can have these updates sent straight to your inbox by subscribing to my newsletter!)
THE INSIDE TRACK
This is one of those frustrating times when I can’t really talk about anything that I’m doing! With very little of my current workload actually announced, I can only tell you that I’ve been:
- Writing an episode of a TV show that I’m freelancing for while also continuing to work on the pilot of a show I’m developing from scratch.
- Continuing to write Shadow Service (more on that below) and the next phase of Star Wars: The High Republic.
- And working on a new mini-series for DC Comics.
Over the last couple of weeks, I also:
- Had brilliant news about a creator-owned comic series which is coming later in the year.
- Was hired to develop a couple of TV shows based on an existing IP.
- Received the green light on a series for 2000AD.
- Wrote outlines for two work-for-hire gigs.
- Checked the proofs for my upcoming novella from PS Publishing.
- And sold a third creator-owned comic series working with an artist I met through Star Wars.
So, a lot going on, but I’m doing my best to keep my work / life balance under control so I don’t end up flogging myself to death (yes, this will probably involve a lot of LEGO, plus, it seems, Gundam!)
Meanwhile, life continues to crawl slowly towards something resembling normality (honest, Guv!)
Clare and I made it to an actual cinema to see Nightmare Alley (which I absolutely adored – Del Toro completely nails film noir, which doesn’t surprise me in the slightest) and I’m currently planning for my first trip to the States since the High Republic announcement in February 2020.
NEWS & UPDATES
- Yes, as I teased above, MI666 is back! Vault comics have revealed the solicit for Shadow Service issue 11 which kicks off the third arc of our supernatural spy thriller. Here it is:
All over the world, secret agents are being murdered by monstrous folk horrors, and not even MI666 is safe. Gina Meyer faces tragedy as a teammate turns enemy. But what of the quest to find out the truth about her past and powers?
- Want more? Okay, here’s the cover by series artist and co-creator Corin Howell, coloured by the awesome Triona Farrell, who is also back on the interiors for the book.
- Shadow Service issue 11 hits stores on 13th April so talk to your comic store to make sure it’s on your pull list – and if you want to find out more about the series so far, check out our Shadow Service page for a full run down of the past issues and the two collected editions.
- Staying with MI666, I am so thrilled that Shadow Service: Volume 1 – Dark Arts has made the HWA Bram Stoker Award Preliminary Ballot for Superior Achievement in a Graphic Novel.
Congratulations to everyone on the ballot! You can follow the link for the full list!
- Something to add to my future release sheet: Rebellion have announced 2000AD Regened Volume 3 which includes the end of my Anderson PSI Division trilogy of stories from 2000AD all-age specials.
- 2000AD Regened Volume 3 is published 16th March and is available for pre-order now!
- It’s always a pleasure to talk to the Youtini boys and even better to do it with my ol’ mucker, George Mann. We were interviewed by the Living Force Podcast about writing together, what we get up to on our creative retreats and, of course, working in a galaxy far, far away.
You can watch us below, or on YouTube. Our interview kicks off around the forty-three minute mark, but there’s loads of great stuff before us too!
OUT THIS WEEK
STAR WARS ADVENTURES: GHOSTS OF VADER’S CASTLE TRADE PAPERBACK
Writer: Cavan Scott | Artists: Francesco Francavilla, Megan Levans, Derek Charm, Robert Hack, Chris Fenoglio | Colours: Francesco Francavilla, Charles Kirchoff, Derek Charm, Robert Hack, Chis Fenoglio | Letters: Shawn Lee | Editors: Heather Antos and Riley Farmer
OUT 25th JANUARY
Join Lina, Milo Graf, and Crater for one last adventure to Vader’s Castle! Perfect for middle-grade readers, these fun, but eerie and horror-packed tales, take you through the creepy side of the Star Wars galaxy.
The ghosts of Vader’s Castle are haunting everybody’s dreams!
First, Milo has been having nightmares about zombie droids, with a special appearance by Anakin Skywalker, Padmé Amidala, and Jar Jar Binks.
Then, Lina runs into Jaxxon, who reveals that he, too, has been having troubling dreams of vicious Wookies bigger than mountains!
Plus, catch up with Hudd and Skritt as Hudd deals with dreams concerning the Spirit of the Swamp, a gilled monster that terrorizes Dagobah!
But Lina isn’t immune to the nightmares either, as her dreams are visited by the galaxy’s most threatening villain-Darth Vader!
In the finale, Lina, Hudd, Skritt, and Jaxxon race to Mustafar to save Milo and Crater. Will the group be able to fight the ghosts that still haunt the castle, or will the galaxy forever be bound to suffer from the wrath of the Ghosts of Vader’s Castle?!
Ghosts of Vader’s Castle finishes the saga started in Tales of Vader’s Castle and Return to Vader’s Castle!