Happy Monday, my friends. Let’s dive headfirst into my news as if falling into a giant bucket of pure joy…
Oh, and don’t forget that you can have these updates pop straight into your inbox by subscribing to my newsletter!
I’m a firm believer in being as honest as possible when it comes to work. Sometimes words come easy. Sometimes words come hard. Last week definitely fell into the first camp. It’s not that I didn’t get things done. I managed to write, edit and submit an 8,000 word story and script the first draft of Shadow Service #13, but every single word felt like pulling teeth…
Pulling teeth from concrete…
Using eyebrow tweezers…
While wearing oven gloves…
But that’s sometimes how it goes and it’s never a bad thing to admit it. And yes, I know I promised you joy. Well, Shadow Service issue 13 is now ready to submit and the work Corin is doing on issue 11 is a-maze-ing! I love this book with all my horror-loving heart! Here’s hoping that the words will come easier this week as well.
There is a slight, teensy-weensy wrinkle to all that thanks to the fact that half my family has gone down with Covid. I’ve escaped it so far and we’ve split the house into covid and non-covid zones. It’s early day, but we’ll get there, and its also a good reminder that the pandemic is far from over, so keep wearing those masks, make sure your vaccinated and stay safe!
Thus endeth the public health announcement…
On with the JOY!
NEWS & UPDATES
- Audible UK dropped a surprise six-episode, full-cast production of Arthur Conan Doyle’s Hound of the Baskervilles starring Colin Salmon as Sherlock Holmes and Stephen Fry as Dr. John Watson, adapted by yours truly and George Mann.
Audible subscribers should be able to listen to it here as part of their sub!
And if you do listen and enjoy it, please leave a review and a rating. It really makes a major difference to productions like this. Thank you.
- Grimdark Magazine asked me to reveal my favourite villains. Now, my favourite lists change all the time, but here’s what I came up with. Did I include yours? Let me know in the comments.
- I shared some of the notebooks I’m currently using, including some hints of some the secret squirrel stuff I’m working on at the moment.
- Lucasfilm have revealed a sweepstake to win a voyage on the all-new, fully immersive Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser in Florida next year. The winner of the grand prize will also be treated to a special meet and greet with me and my fellow Star Wars: The High Republic authors, Claudia Gray, Justina Ireland, Daniel José Older and Charles Soule.
The sweepstakes will run until 14th December 2021 with the winner announced in a special Star Wars: The High Republic livestream event on 4th January, 2022!
Head to BringHomeTheBounty.com for how to enter.
- Artist Ivan Fiorelli shared the character sketch he did for our story in the Marvel Life Day special, which goes on sale on Wednesday. Follow the link to see it in glorious colour!
- This video is a couple of months old, but new to me so give it a look. Star Wars Explained pulled together a breakdown of 30 Star Wars Easter eggs and fun facts found in The Life Day Treasury, including, of course, my Ewok obsession.
- Talking about Life Day, Maggie Lovitt of Let’s Talk About Star Wars interviewed me and George about Star Wars: Life Day Treasury. You can read it here or watch it below…
OUT THIS WEEK
STAR WARS ADVENTURES ANNUAL 2021
Just need to give this some context. I have been trying to sneak Hoojibs into Star Wars Adventures for YEARS and every time I tried, Matt Martin of Story Group would say: ‘no Cav, not yet’. Then last year, when I tried AGAIN, he said: ‘Look, if we’re going to do it, then we have to do it big!’
And here, gentle readers, is the result!
The Hoojib Menace by Cavan Scott | Pencils and inks: Arianna Florean | Colours: Ronda Pattison | Letters: Joanna Nattalie
The Coin by Chip Zdarkey and Jason Loo | Pencils and inks: Jason Loo | Colours: Megan Huang | Letters: Joanna Nattalie | Editors: Riley Farmer and Heather Antos.
Desperate to get into Jabba the Hutt’s good books, Han Solo and Chewbacca take the galactic gangster a very special present. Han thinks the adorable Hoojib will make a perfect addition to Jabba’s menagerie, but the cute critter hides a terrible secret. Cavan Scott (Star Wars: The High Republic) and Arianna Florean (Marvel Action) reintroduce a legendary alien species to Star Wars canon, 40 years after their first appearance!
THEN, follow a group of troublesome kids on Cloud City when they come across a rare coin worth a pretty credit. But when the coin turns out to belong to the one and only Lando Calrissian, the kids quickly find out they are in over their head. Chip Zdarsky (Daredevil) and Jason Loo (The Pitiful Human-Lizard) join forces to tell this Bespin-based story.
STAR WARS LIFE DAY
Writers: Cavan Scott, Justina Ireland, Steve Orlando & Jody Houser | Artists: Ivan Fiorelli, Georges Jeanty, Victor Olazaba, Alex Sinclair & Kei Zama | Colours: Chris Sotomayor, Pete Pantazis & Ruth Redmond | Letters: VC’s Ariana Maher | Cover Artist: Phil Noto | Editors: Danny Kazhem and Mark Paniccia.
THE GALAXY’S FAVORITE HOLIDAY!
Happy LIFE DAY! Celebrate the galaxy’s favorite holiday with a collection of festive tales from all across the STAR WARS SAGA! Life Day is the last thing on HAN SOLO’S mind when he and CHEWBACCA find themselves outgunned and under fire. But Chewie won’t give up hope, remembering the lessons of Life Days past and present. As for Life Days yet to come… well, they’ll have to survive the night first!
STAR WARS ADVENTURES #12
Writers: Cavan Scott, Andrew Lee Griffith | Artists: Manuel Bracchi, Andrew Lee Griffith | Artists: Bracardi Curry | Colours: Johanna Nattalie | Editors: Riley Farmer and Heather Antos
First, it’s a trap! Luke Skywalker and Rogue Squadron has been snared by the Empire. But who is the traitor and why is new recruit Ibti Myrak fighting with Admiral Ackbar on the deck of Home One? X-Wings and TIE fighters clash in “Squad Goals,” part two by Cavan Scott and Manuel Bracchi.
Then, from author and artist Andrew Griffith comes a new “Tales of Villainy.” Asajj Ventress must face off with Aayla Secura, who is dangerously close to uncovering the early stages of the Death Star Project.