New Skylanders Books

May 3, 2012 17 Comments »

Today the first storybook based on the best-selling Skylanders video game launches, hitting the Kindle four months before its paperback debut. Skylanders: The Machine of Doom is written by the mysterious Onk Beakman.

But who is this peculiarly monikered author?

Why, me of course!

This is news I’ve been wanting to blab since I started working on the books at the end of last year.

Writing as the aforementioned Mr Beakman I have written the first in what hopefully will become a series of adventures for Spyro the Dragon and chums.

For those who don’t know, Skylanders burst on the video games scene last october, a revolutionary concept of combining toys and games consoles. When you buy the game you also receive a Portal of Power and three action figures. Pop your action figure on the Portal while playing the game and the character appears on-screen. Simple. The game was an instant success, topping every children’s gaming chart in existence and a sequel is due later this year.

The Skylanders themselves are heroes who protect the magical realm of Skylands from the forces of Darkness, primarily a nasty little twerp by the name of Kaos.

In The Machine of Doom Spyro, Gill Grunt, Eruptor and Boomer (an explosive-loving Troll and possibly one of my favourite characters in the Skylander universe) must stop Kaos getting his grubby paws on an ancient and deadly weapon. Along the way they face danger, perils and flying sheep.

The e-book edition is published by Sunbird and will be followed by a paperback edition in August and the Official 2013 Skylanders Annual, also written by yours truly.

Now if you excuse me, I have an ugly bunch of evil minions to beat on the next level of Skylanders.

Well, it is research after all…

QUICK UPDATE:

The Machine of Doom is also now available on iTunes too!

Related Posts

17 Comments

1. Alison Scott May 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm - Reply

I have just reach your Skylanders book, and I really enjoyed it. Do you plan on writing more novels in the Skylanders series? Adding Skylanders like Cynder, Whirlwind, or others?

• Cavan Scott May 3, 2012 at 10:11 pm - Reply

Hi Alison,

Glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully if The Machine of Doom does well there will be others. Are Cynder and Whirlwind your favourites?

Cavan

• Alison Scott May 3, 2012 at 11:05 pm - Reply

Yes, indeed. They’re two of my favorite dragon Skylanders. :)

2. Penguin Lawyer May 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm - Reply

Dear Sir,

I know as well as you that Onk Beakman is a penguin who lives in Skylands, writing from a shack on the beautiful sands of Blistering Beach with his two pet sea cucumbers. We ask that you cease and desist this charade immediately.

Yours Truly,

Penguins Everywhere

• Cavan Scott May 3, 2012 at 10:35 pm - Reply

You may think that, but I couldn’t possibly comment.

All the best,

Cav

PS. Gotta love sea cucumbers. So cute.

3. Molluska May 4, 2012 at 12:09 am - Reply

Only thing is when you hoist sea cucumbers onto the blistering beach they dry up into sea cucumber jerky.

I’m not saying you can’t have a pet that’s dried up into jerky.

But it is a quiet pet that smells.

• Cavan Scott May 4, 2012 at 7:30 am - Reply

It’s not a problem.

You just get Drobot to rustle you up an ice lamp – keeps them nice and cool. Also good for making sure your sardine ice cream doesn’t melt.

C

4. Imani May 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm - Reply

I hope you get to continue to write more Skylanders books. You really bring the characters to life. P.S. Please include Stealth Elf if you make the next book!

• Cavan Scott May 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm - Reply

Glad you liked it Imani and thank you for the kind words.

As for Stealth Elf, watch this space…

5. Romell June 11, 2012 at 8:33 pm - Reply

Hello, Mr. Scott! I’ve been looking through your site and noticed that you are an editor, writer, and producer. Much to my surprise, you are also a cartoonist! I have this five-page Skylanders comic I’m working on and was wondering what you think of it. I want to show it to you first before I show it to the developers of Skylanders. It’s not finished, but it should reach fifteen pages.

• Cavan Scott June 11, 2012 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Hi Romell,

Your strip looks like a lot of fun. Like the Land Before Time panels too. Good luck with it.

All the best,

Cav

6. Io June 13, 2012 at 10:58 am - Reply

Hi! Your book looks really great! I just wanted to ask but will it be available on the American iTunes bookstore? A few days ago, I saw it (or a book very similar to it, there was no cover image but the title was The Machine of Doom by Cavan Scott) but it seemed to be only available for preorder. Now I can’t find even that anymore.

Anyway, I think it’s really cool you wrote a Skylanders book. And even though I haven’t read it yet, I hope to see more. =)

• Cavan Scott July 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm - Reply

Hi there,

I’m not sure. I’ll see if I can find out for you.

7. Etieene Camus Brown August 12, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

I really enjoyed this book and I keep hassling my mum because I want to read more of them. My favourite part was when Spyro said to Boomer “saving your life that’s all” and then Boomer said “what did you say”. Please write some more.

Etienne aged 7

• Cavan Scott August 12, 2012 at 9:52 am - Reply

Hi Etienne,

I’m glad you enjoyed the book. There are some more books coming so keep checking back to the site to find out more!

All the best,

Cavan

8. Mitzi December 9, 2014 at 2:18 am - Reply

I’d like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website.
    I really hpe to view tthe same high-grade blkg posts by you later on as well.

In fact, your creative writing abilities haas inspired me to get
    my own website now ;)